Most of us use the ATM – it’s an easy, convenient way to access cash, get balances, make deposits and more. The CO-OP Shared Branch network also allows Louisiana USA members to perform many transactions at credit unions across the country.
While 24/7 quick convenience definitely makes our lives easier, ATMs can also put us at risk for theft. You can keep your cash and identity safe by using ATMs cautiously just as you would cash and checks. Check out these simple ATM safety tips from the American Bankers Association to protect you and your money:
Protecting Your ATM Card:
- Make sure to always keep your card in a safe place.
- Don’t give others access to the card, and immediately notify Louisiana USA if it’s lost or stolen.
- Always keep your Personal Identification Number (PIN) a secret, and never write it down.
- Never give any information about your ATM card or PIN over the phone.
When You’re at an ATM:
- Always pay close attention to your surroundings, especially at night. If you notice something or someone suspicious at the ATM, do not use the machine and try a different location.
- Be wary of people trying to “help” you with your ATM transaction.
- Inspect the ATM for possible skimming devices. Don’t use an ATM that appears unusual looking or offers unfamiliar options.
- Have your ATM card ready, in-hand as you approach the ATM.
- Do your automated banking in a well-lit, public location.
- Keep your PIN secrete and make sure no one can see you enter it. Use your hand or body to shield your PIN so people can’t look over your shoulder as you enter it.
- Don’t re-enter your pin if the ATM “eats” your card. If this happens, contact Louisiana USA immediately.
- Never count cash at the machine or in public.
- When using a drive-up ATM, keep your engine running, doors and windows locked, and leave enough room between your car and others in the drive-up line.
- Closely monitor your statements and balance, and immediately report any problems to Louisiana USA.
Remember these tips during your next ATM trip! Just as much as we strive to simplify banking and increase convenience, we also strive to make it safe. As a family-focused entity, our focus is and always will be on helping our members. At Louisiana USA, we’ve got you! Contact us today to learn more about our shared branching network or visit our service center and ATM locator to find an ATM near you!